GRAND ERIE DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD OCCASIONAL TEACHER LOCAL WELCOMES YOU
Making a Difference
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR THE 2021-22 SCHOOL YEAR
Union Email, Federal Election and Dates
Regular EMAIL from your UNION
Have you been receiving emails from our Database?
If not, please subscribe:
Get out and Vote!
The Federal Election will be held on September 20 2021.
How can you vote?
You have until September 14 to apply to vote by mail. Find out how to apply here.
Advanced polls run from September 9 to September 13 2021 from 9 am to 9 pm. Use your voter information card or click this link to find out where to vote.
Election day is September 20 2021. You will need to bring acceptable identification and follow COVID protocols. Find out more information here.
The list of local candidates will be provided alphabetically by last name confirmed as of September 1 2021. If you click on their name a website will be available as provided to elections Canada.
Leslie Bory: Independent
Larry Brock: Conservative Party of Canada
Karleigh Csordas: Green Party of Canada
Alison Macdonald: Liberal Party of Canada
Adrienne Roberts: New Democratic Party
Cole Squire: People’s Party of Canada
John The Engineer Turmel: Independent
Ken Gilpin: People’s Party of Canada
Leslyn Lewis: Conservative Party of Canada
Charles Lugosi: Christian Heritage Party
Karen Matthews: Liberal Party of Canada
George McMorrow: Veteran’s Coalition Party of Canada
Meghan Piironen: New Democratic Party
LOCAL MEETING DATES
All of our meetings will be virtual until Public Health determines that it is safe for large indoor gatherings. The Executive has made the decision to host our Fall General Meeting Virtually, via Zoom, we will start at 6:00pm. Please note that at this time, we are intending to host an in-person meeting for our Winter Social. In addition to our General Meetings and Winter Social, we will be hosting Zoom Check-Ins throughout the school year.
Zoom Check In - September 29, 2021
Fall Meeting - October 18, 2021
Zoom Check-In - November TBD
Winter Social – TBD
Zoom Check-In - January TBD
Zoom Check-In - March TBD
Spring Annual Meeting & Elections - May 16, 2022
BOARD PROFESSIONAL LEARNING DAYS
September 2, 2021 - Health & Safety Protocols/Anti-Racism Training
October 5/8, 2021 (Norfolk/Brant & Haldimand) - Curriculum and Student Achievement Focus on Mathematics
November 12/21 - Curriculum and Student Assessment - Parent Interviews
January 17/22 - Curriculum and Assessment - Report Cards
April 22/22 - Transformative Pedagogy for Deeper Learning
June 6/22 - Curriculum and Assessment - Report Cards
June 30/22 - Staff Professional Development
September 1/21 - Board Holiday
September 3/21 - Board Holiday
September 6/21 - Labour Day
October 11/21 - Thanksgiving
December 20/21-January 3/22 - Winter Break
February 21/22 - Family Day
March 14-18/22 - Spring Break
April 15/22 & 18/22 - Good Friday/Easter Monday
May 23/22 - Victoria Day
Many of you have concerns regarding the Vaccine Attestation and the disclosure of your Vaccination Status. The Provincial Office has sent out Provincial's Position on the requirement of Members disclosing their Vaccination Status to their Employer. You can read more here. Please ensure that you complete your Attestation as soon as possible by following the steps that were distributed by the Board earlier this week. If you do not complete the Attestation, you will be required complete the Education Session which is to be completed outside of working hours.
Please ensure that whether or not you are fully vaccinated that you are still following the Health and Safety Protocols which have been put into place during the COVID 19 Pandemic.
COVID -19 PAID LEAVE
PUTTING WORKERS FIRST ACT, 2021
COVID-19 Putting Workers First Act, 2021 - paid leave extended to Dec. 31, 2021
Daily Occasional Teachers may have access the three paid days of leave under Bill 248:
A qualified employee would be entitled to a paid leave of absence (not to exceed $200 per day) under Bill 284 because of one or more of the following reasons:
· the employee is under individual medical investigation, supervision or treatment for COVID-19, including being vaccinated or recovering from vaccination;
· the employee is acting in accordance with a section 22 or section 35 order under the Health Protection and Promotion Act that relates to COVID-19 (e.g., their workplace is shut down by a Public Health Unit and they are directed to self-isolate, etc.);
· the employee is in quarantine or isolation as a result of information or direction from a Public Health Unit official, a qualified medical practitioner, Telehealth Ontario, the Government of Ontario, the Government of Canada, a municipal council or board of health;
· the employee is given a direction by their employer in response to a concern that the employee may expose others in the workplace to COVID-19; and
· the employee is providing care for a family member (i.e., dependent) who is under medical investigation, is receiving treatment or is under quarantine/isolation due to COVID-19.
· employee’s spouse;
· parent, step-parent, foster parent of the employee or employee’s spouse;
· child, step-child, foster child of the employee or employee’s spouse;
· child under legal guardianship of the employee or employee’s spouse;
· brother, step-brother, sister or step-sister of the employee;
· grandparent, step-grandparent, grandchild or step-grandchild of the employee or employee’s spouse;
· brother-in-law, step-brother-in-law, sister-in-law or step-sister-in-law of the employee;
· son-in-law or daughter-in-law of the employee or employee’s spouse;
· uncle or aunt of the employee or employee’s spouse;
· nephew or niece of the employee or employee’s spouse;
· spouse of the employee’s grandchild, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece;
· a person who considers the employee to be like a family member; and/or
· any individual prescribed as a family member.
Application for payment under this program is made to the Employer.
Longer Term Absences due to Covid-19
The Government of Canada currently offers the Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CSRB).
Information regarding the CSRB can be accessed here: CRSB
VIRTUAL LEARNING ENVIRONMENT (VLE)
Files Available for Download
GRAND ERIE DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD ELEMENTARY OCCASSIONAL TEACHERS UNION AT A GLANCE
A Bit of Background
The Grand Erie District School Board Occasional Teachers (GEDSBOT) is the professional and protective organization representing over 450 Occasional teachers employed in the public elementary schools of Haldimand, Norfolk and Brant. All public Occasional elementary teachers in Haldimand Norfolk and Brant are active members of GEDSBOT. We are one of 76 locals across the province. Our Executive Members strive to effectively serve the membership. To learn more about what each Executive Member please meet the team.
Want to read our 2015-2017 Collective Agreement and Extension or see our Local's Constitution. It can all be found here!
“One is not always happy when one is good; but one is always good when one is happy”